Thanks to my sister-in-law Nicki for giving me this book, my sister Beck and I sat down one sweltering afternoon and produced these kitschy gems.
Snowdomes are really fun to make, and we discovered a few tricks along the way:
- milk bottle tops make a perfect base, they fit snuggly into the mouth of baby food jars.
- we used soft plastic farm animals (easy to pierce with wire), beads, and bead wire. We simply pierced holes in the bottle tops and animals and fastened them with wire.
What we’d do differently next time:
- use distilled water, and sterilise the jars a bit better (things are growing in the water). I wonder if adding white vinegar to the glycerine mixture would help this.
- use more glycerine in the mixture, make it 50/50 instead of 30/70
- fill the jars up to the very top.